Become a Radiographer, Nuclear Medicine Tech, or Nurse Power-Point: Careers in Healthcare
By: Harry H. Holdorf
1. What is Radiography?
- Radiography is the art and science of using radiation to provide images of tissues, organs, bones, and vessels of the human body.These images may be recorded on film or, more frequently now, displayed on a computer or video monitor.
- These images are what we commonly refer to as x-rays. In certain cases, a live motion picture film x-ray (fluoroscopy) is taken to demonstrate the function of a part, such as, the stomach filling and emptying .
- In another form of diagnostic radiography, we can create a 3-D image of a body part, such as the heart, and can then split the images into individual slices (Computed Tomography).
2. What is Nuclear Medicine Technology?
- It is a perfect blend of science and high end technology.
- Nuclear Medicine uses small amounts of radioactive material that are administered to the patient in order to evaluate the anatomy and functional status of various organs and tissues.
- The radioactive material is bound to a pharmaceutical that is selectively taken up by the tissue or organ of interest.
- Pictures are taken gamma camera.
- Planar and Tomography – 3D images are developed with the aid of computer software.
- Trained physician read the data to make the diagnosis for treatment.
- A Nuclear Medicine Technologist is an allied health professional who performs nuclear medicine studies, using radioisotopes, highly sophisticated computers and specialized gamma detectors, i.e. SPECT cameras and PET/CT scanners.
3. Career opportunities for Registered Nurses (RN):
- RN’s work in various specialties:
Cardiac Care, Critical Care, Emergency, Nursing, Maternal/Child, Medical, Surgical, Oncology, Operating Room, Orthopedics, Pediatrics, Psychiatric, Radiology, Rehabilitation
- RN’s work in various places:
Hospitals, Outpatient, Industry, Camps, Community Health, Developmental Disability Centers, Schools, Hospices, Long term care, Military, Occupation Health, Higher Education