Become an Ultrasound Technologist Power-Point:
A Career in Ultrasound
By: Harry H. Holdorf
There are several areas of specialization in the field of Sonography:
- Abdomen: Evaluation of all the soft tissues, blood vessels, and organs of the abdominal cavities (e.g. liver, spleen, urinary tract, pancreas)
- Breast: Frequently used to evaluate breast abnormalities that are found with screening or diagnostic mammography.
- Obsetrics/Gynecology: Evaluation of the female reproductive system.
- Vascular Technology: Evaluation and analysis of the hemodynamics (blood flow) of peripheral and abdominal blood vessels.
- Neurosonography: Evaluation of the brain and spinal cord.
- Ophthalmology: Evaluation of the eye, including orbital structures and muscles.
- Echocardiography: Evaluation of the anatomy and hemodynamics (blood flow) of the heart, its valves, and related blood vessels.